Split ends are most common hair problems for women. They occur when hair becomes damaged or dry, caused by chemical, thermal or mechanical stresses. Hair coloring, combing, using hair dryer, straighteners, curling iron comb are external factors that cause hair damage making them prone to split ends.
Like skin, hair is made up of layers and when a split occurs it means that the cuticle (the outer layer that protects hair) is worn away.
Once you get them, the only way to get rid of is to get your hair trimmed. Don’t believe to some shampoo claims that promise to repair split ends. If you are trying to grow your hair longer, better prevent split ends than trimming them.
Tips to prevent split ends
- Split ends are different. They can be at the ends or multiple splits on the same strand. Anyway you have to take care properly to prevent split causing.
- Use products that prevents them not others that claim to seal them. The last one only make hair appear healthier but don’t repair the damage.
- As skin needs to be hydrated, the same does hair so use conditioner, oil or hair masks once a week to nourish your hair. Better if you use home made masks or natural without chemicals.
- Don’t brush your hair while it’s wet because is more prone to breakage than dry hair. Also avoid brushes with plastic bristles instead choose a wide-tooth comb with a foam pad and comb your hair gently.
- Don’t wash your hair everyday especially if you have dry hair.
- Rinse with cool water to seal the hair’s outer layer.
- Before styling your hair with blow drying, curling irons or other hot tools apply a heat protecting serum and keep the blow-dryer at least 4 inches of distance.
How to get rid of split ends
Besides preventing the only solution is to trim your hair every 6-8 weeks and remove damaged ends. You can do this by yourself if you have few split ends, if not go to a professional.
A split end will split the hair all way up so gets rid of them as soon as possible. Cut at least 2.5 cm above the split and don’t think that your hair will not grow anymore, at contrary it promotes hair health and growth.
Don’t never let your stylist to use razor to your hair because it damaged more the ends than the scissors.
To pull hair back use gentler clip like fabric or stretchable elastic instead of metal or plastic clip.
Home-made masks for split ends
There are simple ingredients that you easily find at your home that works wonders to your hair. Olive oil, eggs, honey and avocado works well on our hair. Try these recipes:
Olive oil + avocado
Mix 1 skinned and pitted avocado with 3 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons egg whites until is formed a creamy composition. Apply to your hair and let sit for 1 hour. Then rinse thoroughly and wash with a natural shampoo. Olive oil works as a moisturizer and makes hair shiny and silky. Avocado nourishes hair with its vitamins and nutrients. Do it at least once a week.
Honey + olive oil
Mix up 3 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply the mask to our ends and let it for 20 minutes. Then rinse and wash it with your shampoo. Honey is like food for your hair with all its minerals, vitamins and antibacterial properties. It nourishes and enriches your hair.
Another home treatment for split ends is beer. It contains proteins and sugar which helps to strengthen and repair damaged hair. Just take a bottle of beer and spray over your hair. Make sure to soak into follicles and let it for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with a mild shampoo.